Winter Weather Is Upon Us…
…and the odds of catching a cold or the flu are very high. Add in the stress of the holiday season, dry indoor air, and shopping and parties among crowds of people, and the risk of getting sick almost becomes inevitable. So when winter goes on the offensive, what are your best lines of defense against illness?
Probiotics For Colds & Flu
Probiotics = fewer symptoms and faster recovery time! The number-one recommendation to boost your immune system is to take a probiotic. Since good health starts in the gut, it’s important to support the good bacteria by supplementing with probiotics. The results are fewer cold symptoms, faster recovery time and reduced antibiotic use. When you get sick and the doctor prescribes an antibiotic, the antibiotic kills both the good and bad bacteria. Taking a probiotic will help add the good bacteria back into your gut for better overall health!
Super-Powered Vitamins and Herbs
A special team of super-powered vitamins and herbs is a fantastic defensive preventative. Taken in combination every day, they help ward off colds and flu and keep you off the sidelines and in the game.
• Raw Vitamin D – 5000 IU – Having adequate stores of vitamin D is an excellent way to boost your immune system. In addition, Vitamin D has been associated with reduced incidence of ALL types of cancer.
• Beta Glucans – 200 mg – If you have a depleted immune system or you’re trying to stay healthy during cold and flu season this is a great supplement. Taking this at the start of any cold or virus may help to shorten the duration and intensity of your symptoms.
• Oregano Oil – 2 to 4 pills – When taken at the first sign of a scratchy throat or stuff nose this product may shorten or even help prevent a full blown cold or flu.
• Eldeberry Extract – 2 to 4 pills – Elderberry extract can act as an extremely important immune booster and can be taken liberally because it is a food source and not chemically derived. It’s even great for children.
• Zinc Lozenges – Zinc stimulates the activity of about 300 enzymes and fortifies the immune system. So it’s wise to take zinc lozenges during the cold season to maintain the body’s natural defenses.
• Xylitol Spray – Naturally promote upper respiratory health while alleviating congestion with Xlear Saline Nasal Spray with xylitol. This industry-leading formula alleviates congestion and also prevents bacteria and other pollutants from sticking to nasal tissues.
Immune-Boosting Essential Oils
Winter is not only prime time for contracting colds and flu, but with days that are shorter and colder, some people find themselves feeling a bit down and low on energy. Those prone to depression and anxiety may notice their symptoms getting worse. Essential oils not only boost your immunity by killing germs, they can also help alleviate stress and symptoms of depression and anxiety, giving your more energy and a calmer and brighter outlook during the winter season. Below are Five Essential oils that can help improve your physical health and support your mental and emotional well-being.
• Lavender Oil One of the most versatile and popular essential oils. It has antibacterial, antidepressant and anti-inflammatory effects. This oil is especially helpful in clearing up a stuffy nose, making it ideal for allergies and minor illnesses like the common cold. It can also help break up congestion by adding to your humidifier at night. The cold winter months can leave your skin dry and flaky…Lavender oil has moisturizing effects to help keep your skin hydrated and healthy. Combine a few drops with your moisturizer or other skin-healthy oils such as jojoba oil, or just add a few drops to filtered water in a small spray bottle for a quick spritz of hydration throughout the day.
• Oregano Oil It is widely known that Oregano essential oil has very powerful immune-boosting, antiviral, antifungal, anti-parasitic, anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties. The anti-anxiety, calming properties combined with its immune boosting power will help prevent illness and alleviate and prevent colds and flu. It is especially helpful in relieving sore throats. It is also helpful in quelling anxiety and helping with difficulty sleeping. It induces feelings of inner serenity and calmness so that you are able to relax and fall asleep. For a restful, peaceful sleep, apply a few drops to the soles of your feet at bedtime.
• Lemon Oil Lemon essential oil has mood-boosting, astringent, and antibacterial effects. You can use this oil to help prevent illness or to help fight illness if you are already sick. Use lemon essential oil around your home to clean and remove germs and bacteria from floors and surfaces. The scent of lemons has the ability to boost your mood and alleviate your stress. Lemon oil also has the unique ability to reduce your sugar cravings because it naturally reduces your desire to eat sweets.
• Peppermint Oil Most people know that Peppermint is certainly great for freshening your breath and helping with stomach issues and headache. It also has immune boosting properties and works to reduce your appetite. All of these properties are great but, did you know that Peppermint also works as a mood booster? Peppermint oil helps eliminate fatigue and ease depression and feelings of anxiety! Peppermint helps to stimulate your immune system but if you are already sick, it can help with several symptoms that are common with winter illnesses. Peppermint essential oil relieves headaches and sinus pressure and stiffness. It also helps relieve hangover symptoms!
• Frankincense Oil Frankincense Oil has immune-boosting and purifying properties which can help to prevent you from getting sick during the winter season. Using Frankincense regularly is a good idea so that you can get through the season without getting sick. When combined with frequent hand washing, you will find that your immune system is stronger and that you are more resistant to illness. Frankincense also has a calming, grounding effect and helps you focus and relax and dispelling feelings of anxiety and relieving stress which is especially helpful during the holiday craziness! You can use essential oils alone or along with other remedies to keep yourself and your family healthy during the winter months. During these coming months it can be quite difficult to keep yourself from getting sick, but if you keep these oils handy it will surely help.
The supplements and essential oils mentioned above are all available at Incentives Spa and Salon.
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. The information in this article is not intended to treat, diagnose, cure or prevent any disease or illness. If you feel you have a medical condition or are on any medication, you are urged to seek the help of a medical professional. The suggestions in this article are for use with Young Living Therapeutic Grade Essential Oils and no other. Certain essential oils should not be used around children, pregnant or nursing women and pets.