Protection And Relief
Flu season is once again upon us. Along with the Flu, there are many virulent viruses looking to take host in our bodies as well. There is no better time than now to increase self-care to prevent illness!
Essential oils are extremely beneficial in preventing illness and also very effective in alleviating symptoms of cold and flu while they run their course. Almost all of these oils on this list are antiseptic, anti-viral, anti-bacterial, and all are available at Incentives Organic Spa & Salon either in-stock or by special order.
Below is a list of 11 extremely effective Essential oils that kill germs and boost your immune system to help you stay healthy and germ free!
1. Basil – Enhances overall immune function, helps with muscle aches and protects against infection
2. Bergamot – supports respiratory function, antiseptic.
3. Dill – Natural antihistamine, anti-congestive, aids in clearing respiratory channels, fights, cold, fever and bronchitis.
4. Eucalyptus – Reduces fevers, fights infection, supports respiration, natural pain killer
5. Lavender – Relieves headaches, stress, depression, fatigue, inflammation
6. Lemon – clears nasal passages, allows for steady breathing, anti-fungal, antiseptic
7. Lime – Purifies air, antiseptic, anti-viral, anti-bacterial
8. Oregano – a potent antioxidant to safeguard from cold and flu symptoms, active antimicrobial.
9. Peppermint – Reduces coughs, sinusitis, throat infections, aids in digestion.
10. Tea Tree (Melaleuca) – Inhibits bacteria, fights infection, antiseptic
11. Thyme – natural expectorant, antibacterial, fights infection
So now, your questions may be, how do I use them? Is one enough or do I need all of them? Here are a few ways to use these natural germ-killers:
1. Diffuser – An essential oil diffuser is a device that disperses essential oils into the air to be inhaled and easily absorbed by the body. When distributed through the air, the essential oil properties will purify the air and kill bacteria and fungus.
2. Add a few drops of Essential oil to your bath
3. Dilute your essential oil in a carrier oil (V-6, coconut, grapeseed, almond oil) and massage into the temples, neck and feet.
4. Put a few drops into a large bowl of hot water or a pot of boiled water for steam inhalation.
5. Use on hot or cold compresses.
6. Inhale on a cotton ball or direct from bottle.
The benefits of the oils depend on the application and the type of oil. For instance, peppermint is cooling and may work better in a chest rub than diffuser to relieve certain symptoms.
Be sure to dilute your essential oil with carrier oils. It is recommended to use 1 oz carrier oil for every few drops of Essential oil.
Disclaimer: Consult a doctor or an aroma therapist for in depth use of Essential oils. Please do your own research to be sure you are not allergic to any oils. Also, research on your own, as certain Essential oils should not be used on infants, young children and around certain animals.